Sunday, March 20, 2016

Goodbyes Suck

I've said it a hundred times.  And I'll say it a million in this lifetime.  I don't know how I would have done the last three years in Albuquerque without Renae.

She has loved my babies and she has loved me.  Every day that I pick up my kids, I think to myself "dangit we are so lucky" and I have for years now.  But there are a few times where Renae was my person in a way that there isn't a big enough 'thank you' in the world.  When Asher was so sick, Renae did everything she could to help me.  She tried different food, she thickened juice and bottles, she experimented with sippy cups, she fed him her own lunch if he wanted that instead of his own.  I remember watching her walk funny at the end of the day, and I knew it was because she had followed him around, hunched over, for 8 hours trying to get him to eat.  During that same time, there were multiple days where I showed up at her house in the afternoon and she would be on the couch, holding little 1 year old Asher in her lap, rocking him.  They would both be covered in puke, there were so many days he didn't keep anything he ate down or would cough until he vomited, and he would be sobbing and scared and she would have his head pressed up against her, patting the top of his head, and whispering to him that he was okay.  Rather than make my baby puke in a trash can or in a bathroom, she held him, just like I would have done.  And when he was hospitalized in Albuquerque and we felt so alone, suddenly at the door of his room was Renae and Dave.  They had driven to the hospital, put on masks, and were there to make sure our family was okay.  

And then there is everything Asher learned to love from Renae: baking cookies, basketball poop (I think that is from Kars), Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (especially the dance), balloons and bubbles, Tiny Tim the Turtle song, tape, couch naps, circus tents...the list goes on and on.

I don't know what we are going to do without her.  

We will miss the whole Lueck family so much- 
Renae, Dave, Karsen, Kylar, Eric & Dakota (and Charlie!)...we love you all.

Napping at Nae's

Renae and I had our going away extravaganza yesterday...pedicares in the morning, El Pinto at night.  Thank you Dave, for driving us so we could drink too many margaritas and cry for three hours while sharing nachos.

Pre-Pinto

Post-Pinto

We found a kitty!  ...he bit me twice, but I'd had some tequila so it didn't hurt.




No comments:

Post a Comment