Monday, January 4, 2016

Mama's Workin' (well she's been workin', but today she is workin' alone)


The first day Asher went to Renae's he was about 8 months old.  I had only met Renae once, and although I desperately needed some daytime back-up so that I could work and have "mommy time", I was not ready to surrender my baby to another adult.  I remember dropping him off, walking back to the car with a pit in my stomach, and sobbing the whole way to Starbucks.  I grabbed a coffee and then didn't know what to do with myself.  I had work to do, but I was too distraught to focus.  So I drove to a park and sat on a bench.  I called Karen and just cried.  I watched other kids play, desperately missing my child.

Today is Sullivan's first day at Renae's.  Two years later, Renae is a member of my family.  A trusted and beloved friend, and an incredible caregiver to my children.  I  can honestly say that other than selfishly wishing my co-worker (Sully) was laying on me, keeping me warm, and throwing goofy smiles my way, I am completely okay with where he is and where I am.  I feel refreshed and productive, and love that my two boys are together having a fun adventure.  

Renae, thank you for being amazing and for being my person and my children's person.  I don't know what we would do without you.  I will be eternally grateful that my traditional Starbucks visit after dropping a child off with you for the first time was tear-free today.  I love you!

Very excited to go see Nae.

Mama bear and her cub.

Protective big brother keeping an eye on Sully.

Such a big day for a tiny guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment