Monday, January 18, 2016

Hellllooooooooo from the Other Siiiiiiiide

Side of what? Side of cardiomyopathy.  Know how I know?

1) I haven't had a pounding all-day arrhythmia in over 3 weeks.
2) I haven't felt like I was going to pass out when I stood up in over 3 weeks.
3) I haven't gone through my days feeling carsick, lightheaded, and headache-y in over 3 weeks.
4) Today I went for JOG (...kind of, let me explain...)

Motivated by two things, something amazing happened today.  I RAN.  Motivating thing #1- I bought a really cute workout top with thumb holes at Target, #2- I had a dream last night that my jogging partner was Usain Bolt.  And we were awesome.  And we were REALLY fast.  It was by far the most fun I've ever had exercising.  Probably because it is the only time I've ever been good at exercising. Ahh, I love dreams.

So over lunch, I decided to take Harlan for a walk.  I put on my running shoes (only because my toes are in such bad shape wearing flip flops would just remind me how badly I need a pedicure and I have a lot of work to do this afternoon and need to sit at my desk, not go get a pedicure) and we were off.  About three blocks in I thought to myself, I am wearing running shoes, and a thumb hole top... I kind of look like I am out for a jog... oh ... I did dream last night that Usain and I were running buddies... and I was a really good runner in my dream... maybe I should run?  I walked a little bit more, taking a deep breath like somehow that would signal to me if my heart could handle running.  You see, while the cardiologist gave me the green light to be physically active, my greatest fear is this: I go for a run during the day by myself, I have no identifying information on me, I pass out and while laying unconscious on the sidewalk someone steals my dog and my running shoes (and probably my shirt if they see it has thumb holes) and leaves me for dead.  It sounds crazy... but it's Albuquerque... the fear is real people.

But I mustered up enough courage to quicken my pace, just barely.  In fact, I would bet my 'jog' is actually slower than my walk, but that's not the point.  I ran 2 blocks then slowed back down.  Here it comes, I said to myself, the dizziness, the feeling like I can't breathe, needing to sit down... wait for it...  But it didn't come.  As I walked I felt my heart slow from it's "I was running!" rate to a normal walking rate, and it did it without skipping a beat (more accurately, without adding 50 erroneous beats).   Totally. Normal.  I decided to push my luck.  Once my heart rate was low again, I ran another two blocks, then walked.  Repeat.  Until we were home.  When we walked in the door I waited again for the passy outty feeling, I was prepared to sit down quickly.  I had braced myself for shortness of breath that could last the rest of the afternoon.  But 15 minutes later, I am sitting here, drinking a root beer, typing these victorious words: I am beating cardiomyopathy.  Slowly, yes, but I am sure of it.  All of these good signs mean that the cardiac MRI will indeed show that my heart is 100% healthy again, I have no doubt.

How I look running in my dream...


How I look running in real life...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment