Friday, March 10, 2017

Thank you Minnesota Department of Health

I spent three full days in SAS Programming II training in downtown Minneapolis this week.
And I learned a lot about myself.

Thing 1: My fear of heights is alive and well.  Interestingly, it only applies in man-made structures or airplanes.  I have no problem climbing up a 60 foot wall and flinging myself off of it.  
But the 28th floor of a building?  Woof.  Parking garages?  My nightmare.

Thing 2:  12 hours is exactly how many hours of classroom learning I can sit through before I figure out how to distract myself.  In this case, the concatenate function (even with its advanced options) wasn't as captivating as one might think... so I brought my friend Tupac into the mix.  The lesson improved considerably after that.


Edited Thought After The Fact:  Maybe my true calling is to teach biostatistics in urban high schools.  I bet I could teach an entire course on SAS using Hamilton lyrics alone.

Thing 3: Teachers 'kind of' like having me in class.  I feel like they liked me a lot more when I was younger...

Thing 4:  I love data.  I love programming.  I love working for MDH and that my supervisor is willing to invest considerable time and money in my professional development when I have only been there for two months.

Thing 5:  My identity crisis of whether I want to be working directly with the community and patients versus playing with data all day continues.  On Tuesday our team hosted a learning collaborative with 16 local public health departments throughout the state to talk specifically about maternal and child screening and referrals, and everything in me wanted to work directly with at-risk teen parents.  The next day, I'm in a computer lab thinking I could spend my whole life surrounded by computer screens of code.  Maybe I'll scrap both of those and decorate birthday cakes for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment