Sunday, February 1, 2015

No Sense, No Vaccines... No Service

There is a lot out there right now about the failure (yes, failure) of American parents to vaccinate their kids.  Most articles attempting to illuminate the utter stupidity (yes, utter stupidity) of this utilize a gentle approach.  Dear Parent, I know you think you are doing what is best for your child, but let's talk about vaccinations and why you should really get them.  I'm not going to be so gentle.  Not vaccinating your kids (with the exception of those who medically should not/cannot be vaccinated) is stupid.  It is irresponsible- both as a parent and as a member of a community.  And news flash, the best intentions behind your choosing not to give your kid a shot have enormous consequences, including the death of your child and the death of people around you.  So knock it off.  

I'm of the opinion that not vaccinating your kid for "personal reasons" - which of course includes the scientifically unsupported/refuted belief that it could cause autism or ADHD - should have consequences.  Like legal ones.  Like you are getting cited for child endangerment which has a fine and possibly jail time.  And I'm not just talking about 'your child endangerment', I'm talking about 'my child endangerment'.   Because I think it is only fair that if I end up in jail someday for what I would do to the parent of the purposefully unvaccinated kid who got Asher sick, they should go to jail too.   Right?  Right.

This story has a purpose.  Last weekend our neighbors basically bullied an invitation to Asher's birthday party out of me.  I told them when it was, and when their five year old daughter said, "Sometimes it makes me sad when you invite other people over to play and not me," I invited them.  But then I remembered something.  These people are BAT.SHIT.CRAZY.  They have forced their three young children onto a paleo diet.  The father 'adjusted' all of them as day old newborns in the hospital (and p.s. offered to cure my autoimmune and thyroid issues with a few simple cracks of the back- not kidding).  They relied on his chiropractic expertise to treat their sons head to toe eczema (FOR TWO YEARS) until a physician sat them down and explained to them what they were doing to his metabolic system by not treating him and threatened to consult child and family services if they continued to refuse the medication that would relieve his pain and itching immediately (Which it did. After the first day.  When that kid grows up and his repressed memories of living for two years with debilitating eczema resurface and he goes on a rampage and does something terrible to his mom and dad I will not be surprised.)   Oh and one more thing.  They don't vaccinate their kids.  For anything.  Period.  I will admit, I flip flopped for a day about withdrawing the invitation.  I am a Minnesotan after all.  Being rude isn't in my blood.  BUT.  But.  but.  

Because there aren't legal consequences, there will be social ones.  A simple email was sent.  There will be young infants at this party who are not fully vaccinated and my autoimmune condition brings with it a complement deficiency that means I'm at a higher risk for certain infections.  If your children are still not fully vaccinated please do not attend Asher's birthday party.  And you know what.  I didn't feel bad at all.  Not even a little bit.  Because this is what needs to happen.  Social isolation.  And hopefully a little shaming.  She wrote back almost immediately and said they would stay home.  

It is amazing what privilege breeds.  Not seeing rampant child deaths from preventable diseases emboldens bored American parents into ignoring science and making terrible, terrible decisions. Hopefully this "fad" fades quickly and we don't have more Disneyland's on our hands, but I have a feeling there is still a ways to go.  Until we are past this, keep your kids (and yourselves) safe.  And good luck.


1 comment: