Thursday, December 4, 2014

Sweet Dreams Are Made Of....

This morning at breakfast Ben was clearly hiding something from me.  I decided not to push, we have a lot of things on our plate right now and Ben is a "think about it inside my own head" processor and I knew when he was ready he would share whatever this big thing was.  But moments later, he set his spoon down in his cereal bowl, cleared his throat, and said, "I had a dream last night."

This is momentous because Ben rarely dreams.  And he almost never remembers what he dreamt about.

"It was such a terrible dream I woke up."  Now this was headline news.  I don't remember ever hearing Ben tell me he had a nightmare that woke him up.  I was considering asking him to wait to share until Asher wasn't present, because surely it must have been a pretty horrific, but he just started talking.

"I was sitting at a computer, looking at the screen, and a pop-up window showed up.  But then so did another... and another...and there were hundreds of pop up windows.  And I couldn't get them to stop popping up.  They just pop pop pop popped up everywhere.  And then I woke up."

I blinked.  And then I said, "This is the difference between your brain while dreaming and my brain while dreaming...(note to readers who aren't aware, I am a lucid dreamer and have both vivid dreams and nightmares every single night that I remember in excruciating detail- there is never a dull moment in my head- literally, never)... last night my dream started with dairy cows pasturing in our backyard.  But this was nonsensical to me because our patch of grass is the size of a ping pong table, and it was boring, so I told myself to change my dream.  Next thing I knew, the dairy cows were the size of dinosaurs and had huge horns like bulls, but they weren't bulls, they were just brontosaurus sized black and white cows with horns, and Eric Miller rang our doorbell to tell us that there were monster cows in our yard and then he was trampled and then a dinosaur cow got into our house, Asher was immediately removed from the dream at this point, he had originally been in the dream when we were just looking our the window at normal cows in a pasture but once I realized there was danger I got him the heck out, unfortunately, I can only do one thing at a time when intervening with a dream and while removing Asher you got speared by a dinosaur horn and I knew I had to get you to an emergency room but I wasn't sure how to explain what had happened to you and the next thing I knew the dinosaur cow was spooning Harlan on our kitchen floor and I was taking pictures and texting them to our friends.  Then I remembered you still needed to go to the ER and I didn't like that you were hurt so I switched the dream.  That's when I found myself on the deck of a gigantic ship in a really weird dress and a corset and realized "F, I'm on the Titanic" and then awake but sleeping me thought 'No way, this dream is done, that water is going to be icy cold' and so then the dream switched....." and on and on and on and on.  

As I drink my sleepy time tea and try to relax before bed so that I can maybe, possibly get a good nights sleep, I am just shaking my head reading this post knowing that as always, my dreams will most likely get in the way of that.

Good night!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment