Sunday, May 14, 2017

Life as a State Employee

I have been slowly making the adjustment to cubicle life.  Which includes not seeing out a window, not talking to other humans, and being flooded with fluorescent light all day long.  There is an absence of laughter, natural light and hip hop that has been hard to adapt to, but for the most part, I think I've been coping well.

But when the light went out right above my desk, I jumped on the opportunity to KEEP. IT. OUT.  Because it actually provided some 'shade' in my work space, and life was just better with one less overhead fluorescent light.  As a joke, I left the maintenance guy, who I have a good rapport with, a note.  His house was broken into the night before and I knew he'd appreciate the pick-me-up.

Six minutes after I tacked up the sign- no joke, six minutes later- someone tapped on my cubicle wall and said "knock knock knock" in a sing songy voice.  I had never met this person before, and turned around and said hi.  Which is when she said, with this big silly smile on her face, "You know, as a State employee, you really cannot be offering monetary bribes."  And walked away.  

So.  Yep.  There's that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment