Sunday, August 5, 2012

In the Loop

On Friday we had our first appointment with Dr. Jennifer Niebyl, a high risk obstetrician at the University of Iowa.  She went to medical school at Yale, did her specialty training at Johns Hopkins, and is the head of the Department of Obstetrics; so I certainly feel like I'm in the best hands possible.  Our appointment was over 2 hours long, with an hour consultation with a nurse and then an hour with the doctor.  Dr. Niebyl was able to answer a lot of our questions (e.g. I can get my cavities filled on Monday and I do not need to drink more than 3 liters of water a day... thank god).  She tried to hear a heartbeat with the doppler stethoscope, but we were only at 8 weeks and typically the baby's heartbeat can't be picked up until 11 weeks.  However after the exam, the doctor said I am definitely pregnant and that everything looks good.  We go back to the doctor on the 28th of August and will be doing a full ultrasound then.

So in 3 weeks we will definitely see the baby and hear/see the heart beating!  

Baby Updates
Due Date: March 14th, 2013 (Jim, I will try my best go past due-- my sister did!-- so that you can share a birthday with the raspberry)

Size today: large raspberry

Development changes: fingers and toes, movement, eyelids and ears formed






1 comment:

  1. I went 3 1/2 weeks over!!!! I pray to god (and ben) that you dont;)

    ReplyDelete