Saturday, August 8, 2015

Summer's Coming to an End....How is that possible?

It feels like yesterday that Ben and I were sitting in our living room in Albuquerque, a week before my birthday, trying to figure out what the heck to do for the summer.  Should we roll the dice and stay in ABQ, fingers crossed they managed the rest of the pregnancy okay?  Should we move back to Minnesota?  Should just I move?  Should Asher and I move?  Could we all move? Should we just go get a second opinion in the Twin Cities?  Once the decision was made that Asher and I would bunk with Ben's parents until my health was under control, we didn't know if we would be permanently settling (...not in the Olson's basement, but in Minnesota), or just hanging out for 4-5 months until our littlest was born and we were all ready to head back to NM.  But we went with it.  Ash and I packed a suitcase, Ben drove up with our car and Harlan a few weeks later, and now here we are... 19 days away from the arrival of our little Sullivan James (if he decides to stay put until his due date), and feeling reflective on the whirlwind that was this summer.

Asher has grown up so much in the last three months.  From quantifiable changes like stringing together longer sentences and moving from his crib to a big boy bed, to the sweeter things like acknowledging that yes, he really does want to go to sleep (instead of fighting it like a wild banshee child) and showing more emotion and understanding of the world around him.   We kept him busy with swimming lessons, a music class, and llama camp (and lots of time with family, at parks, coloring, playing in the sandbox, watching diggers, oh the list goes on and on), but now those summer activities are coming to a close.  His last day of llama camp was on Friday, and I think it was harder on me than him.  After 4 very challenging drop offs, Asher adapted wonderfully and looked forward to going to camp.  When we would get there in the morning he would state "Mommy work, I go camp", and then  just bust onto the playground, antsy to dig for worms or study the caterpillars or chase a chicken.  It is such a bummer to know he won't be going back on Monday, but also one of the best experiences he has had in his little life and I am so thankful that he was able to go.

We spent the morning readying ourselves for the arrival of littlest.  Getting the car seat ready, baking more muffins... the 'nesting' instinct is officially here and now that our countdown is in the teens it is almost surreal that we are about to do this newborn thing all over again.  I had a dream last night that I unexpectedly delivered triplets at home in the kitchen... thank goodness for 89 ultrasounds or I would probably be demanding one last peek to make sure there is just one Fat Sully in there. 

So, we are all set.  The Mother-Baby unit at Abbott is ready and waiting for us, we had labs done again last Friday (which I'm assuming were okay as I did not get an after hours calls from a doc with results) and everything is being carefully watched and is well-controlled.  We have several plans with several contingency plans for the delivery itself, but are expecting that this will be a smooth and uneventful arrival (...I mean, haven't we earned that after the past 9 months?).  Pregnancy is potentially scary and complicated always... but Ben and I rarely got a break with this one.  It has been 9 months of near misses, scary news, and sleepless nights...but with 19 days to go, it seems that we have finally reached the "You are going to be okay!" point, as everything is now quiet and calm and stable.  And so, I am going to soak up the last 2 weeks that I will ever spend being pregnant and try to enjoy it and relish the sweetness of rolls and hiccups and rib kicks.  And lest my body smite me for not giving it credit where credit is due (which is possible, because it can be a total B)... it has to be said that for how badly it beat the crap out of itself (yes, body, I get it... you do not like being pregnant...message received...please lay off me/you) it did a perfect job protecting our little boy and giving him a safe place to grow.  


A pile of art projects and this gem were waiting for me in Asher's cubby on the last day of camp....

No comments:

Post a Comment