Tuesday, December 18, 2012

"I've got bump in my trunk"

Oh Week 30...

It is hard to believe there are only 10 weeks to go!  Ben and I both let out deep sighs yesterday while walking Harlan as we realized how fast the next ten weeks are going to fly by for both of us, and how much we have to do before we meet our little guy.

Ben's dissertation is now pretty much done, he is just putting the finishing touches on before sending it to his thesis committee (and still waiting for it to be cleared by the government).  He is working in the lab when he isn't writing, and has an experiment all planned out that he is excited to start on. This will likely end with him writing another publication, so my stint as "in-house proofreader" will continue on :)  We have not heard 'officially' from Sandia, but know that all materials are now in and have been sent to HR, so we expect that Ben will get word this week or next.  His dissertation defense is set for February 6th, and if all goes as planned, he will be heading to New Mexico shortly thereafter for orientation.  I've promised to not have our baby early (due date is March 1), so we'll see how much control I have over that when the time comes.

It's been decided that I will continue to work for Iowa City Hospice remotely as a consultant at 50% FTE when we move.  Which is great!   It is going to be a busy few weeks though,  I'll have to train the person we hire to assume the other 50% of my job on-site, and come up with a work plan for maternity leave.  I will be working as an independent contractor (not an ICH employee) after having the baby, so I need to start my own company and fill out all the tax forms and business plans (and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't know about yet).  I'm still doing consulting work for Dr. Beglinger at the University of Iowa as well, and we are in our 'final hurrah' for that work now, so I feel kind of like Ben... working all day, then coming home and working in the evenings and on the weekends. 

Is it possible that both Ben and I will feel like we are getting a break when the baby is born??  From what I hear, the answer to that is no :)

Speaking of the baby-- he is an extremely active little guy, and I relish his "awake" times when he is kicking up a storm.  I haven't posted many 'bump' pictures, but right now I am so much enjoying being pregnant and my kicky, magical belly that I wanted to put one up. 


And here is a picture with my other baby-- Harlan has been very snuggly lately. 

20121214_194405.jpg



Have a great holiday everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment